You are here
EL Entrance and Exit Criteria
Initial Placement in EL Program
- All students new to the district must fill out a Home Language Questionnaire.
- Students who have a language other than English on their Minnesota Home Language Survey will be tested for the EL Program using the WIDA Model test for Kindergarten and the WIDA Screener for grades K-12. ACCESS Scores from the previous year will be used to identify students moving from other districts in Minnesota.
- Parents will be notified if a student is eligible for EL Services
- Parents or guardians may remove their child from the EL Program at any time by signing a waiver available through the EL teacher. However, students will still be required to take the state EL assessment.
Additional Criteria for IdentificationEL teachers may consider additional criteria for EL identification such as: Observations, teacher judgment, parent recommendations and other developmentally appropriate assessment instruments.
Parental Notification and EL Information FileIf it is determined that the student is an English Learner (EL), the student qualifies for EL services. Parental notification is required to enroll the student in the EL program. The following is filed in the student’s PRF:
- Copy of Parent Notification Letter with testing scores.
EL Program Exit CriteriaIn order for a student to exit the EL Program, EL students have to meet at least four of the following criteria; two of which have to be standardized test data:
- ACCESS Composite Score of 4.5; and
- a score of 3.5 in three of the four domains: speaking, listening, reading and writing.