Most Bloomington Community Education Youth Enrichment classes, including after school classes, are cancelled until further notice due to COVID-19 mitigation.
A limited number of online classes are offered. Check availability under the Classes tab.
Bloomington Community Education offers Enrichment classes to K-12 youth, as well as some limited Preschool classes. Classes are held after school in the elementary schools, and evenings and weekends at other district locations. Some classes are located at class provider locations. Classes are taught by local youth program vendors and school district staff who have a passion and commitment to working with children.
Classes are available year-round and can be found in our catalog, which is delivered to Bloomington homes three times per year: August, December, and March. In the catalog you will find information regarding all our programs and classes for Early Learners, Young Learners, and Adult Learners.
Community Education Youth Enrichment offers a variety of summer, school year, and evening enrichment, education and recreation opportunities for children of all ages.
Classes are available on an on-going basis at a variety of school locations throughout the school district in the areas of:
- creative, visual, and performing arts
- self-reliance and esteem building
- academic and recreational enrichment
- self-defense (including kung-fu and karate)
- recreational and educational sports
New Online Class Options
Bloomington Community Education is offering online class options to replace some onsite classes. Check back often for new class listings.
|Future Chefs! Pizza Party||
Grades 1 - 5 $12
Your future little chef will have a blast creating their own pizza party with a savory pizza with sauce, cheese and toppings, and a sweet pizza made with frosting and fruit toppings. Recipes and equipment list will be sent out prior to the start of class. This class will be held online using Google Hangouts/Meet. Parents should assist and supervise their children in this class.
Thursday, June 4
|Future Chefs! Taco Time||
Grades 1 - 5 $12
Your future little chef will become a taco master, making taco seasoning and their own salsa, prepping all the toppings and layering the perfect taco. Recipes and equipment list will be sent out prior to the start of class. This class will be held online using Google Hangouts/Meet. Parents should assist and supervise their children in this class.
Thursday, June 18
|Future Chefs! Chinese Fried Rice||
Grades 1 - 5 $12
Your future little chef will learn to make the best Chinese Fried Rice ever! Learn the basics using day old rice. Make the sauce from scratch, prep the vegetables, practice safety around a very hot wok or pan, saute' and layer ingredients. Recipes and equipment list will be sent out prior to the start of class. This class will be held online using Google Hangouts/Meet. Parents should assist and supervise their children in this class.
Tuesday, June 30
Watch Me Create Art Kits
Grades 1 - 5 $29 for one kit / $45 for two kits
Our friends at Watch Me Create have several brand new art kits available for our Bloomington Community Education families. Kits include painting on canvas or clay projects and include all the material your little artist needs to create their masterpiece. Each kit contains YouTube Video Instruction and shipping is included.
|Science Explorers STEM Kit #1||
Ages 8+ $27 without shipping / $32 with shipping
Have fun with three STEM topics included in this at-home STEM Sampler Kit: chemistry, aerospace and electricity. First, explore the three most common states of matter in our environment: solid, liquid and gas. Next, discover the four forces that allow planes and rockets to fly: thrust, drag, weight and lift. Then, build and test an electromagnet and learn how the electromagnetic field was first discovered. Children ages 8 - 11 should work with an adult on the experiments. Children 12 and older can work with adult supervision.
|Science Explorers STEM Kit #2||
Ages 8+ $30 without shipping / $34 with shipping
Have fun with two STEM topics included in this at-home STEM Sampler Kit: engineering and chemistry. Take your first steps into engineering by designing and building your own Art-Bot. Give your robot a personality with the craft supplies included in the kit. Then, step into your own science lab to test the pH levels of six everyday substances. The exciting part of testing for pH is that the mixture changes color. Enough pH indicator will be provided so this experiment can be conducted again to test other items found around your home. Children ages 8 - 11 should work with an adult on the experiments. Children 12 and older can work with adult supervision.
|Science Explorers STEM Kit #3||
Ages 8+ $32 without shipping/ $39 with shipping
Have more fun with these two STEM topics included in this at-home STEM Sampler Kit: slime and catapults. You will first investigate the chemical reaction that creates slime. Mix up your own batches of Glow, Silky and Foam Slime as you discover why slime is delightfully bouncy, stretchy and gooey. Then, build three different catapults to examine how levers, energy, and Newton's Laws of Motion all work together as you fling ping-pong balls while practicing your launching and aiming skills. This kit is more than hands-on...it's hands in!
|Kidcreate Studio Art Kits||
Two kit sizes are available: one art project or three
Kits can be picked up or shipped.
Offerings change weekly. For a list of what kits are available, contact Michelle Glynn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for Summer 2020 Youth Enrichment classes and camps is now open!
- Cancellations that are customer-initiated must be received within five or more business days in order to qualify for a full refund, minus at $10 processing fee, per person, for each class cancelled.
- Cancellations made less than 5 business days prior to the start of the class will not be eligible for a refund.
- There are no refunds issued after the class has begun.
- Community Education reserves the right to cancel a class that does not meet the minimum enrollment.
Music education opportunities are for students age 7 through adult. Our current options include piano lessons only.
Registration for private lessons is not available on our registration website. For lesson availability and registration information, contact Michelle Glynn at email@example.com or call 952-681-6108.
Private Instrument Lessons
We offer affordable, individual, weekly 30 minute lessons for piano. Beginners through advanced students are welcome!
Lesson availability is based on available instructors.
Beginner through advanced levels
- 30-minute, weekly, after-school lessons
- Offered at specified Bloomington schools
- Students must be 7 or older to register
- Must have a piano or keyboard at home for practice
- Lessons are scheduled by season
- Enthusiastic, patient and creative music instructors
- Variety of experience teaching lessons
- Variety of education and musical background
- Lessons are tailored to meet individual needs of students
Financial aid is not available for piano lessons.
Are you a music educator? Do you have a love for music and dance? If you would like to share your time and talents teaching young students we would like to add you to our list of enthusiastic, patient, creative instructors.
Please contact us and we'll arrange for an interview to discuss available opportunities in piano, guitar, dance, vocal and instrumental music.
Bloomington Community Education partners with A+ Driving School to offer two options for Driver's Education programs.
Classroom Instruction and Behind the Wheel (all summer classes are online)
- Cost is $395
- A $70 deposit is paid to Bloomington Community Education when registering for the class.
- The additional $325 is paid directly to A+ Driving School.
- A+ Driving School will bill parents directly for remainder of the payment.
- Please work directly with A+ Driving School regarding payment plans.
- Students may register if they are 14 1/2 years of age.
- Blue cards will be mailed to students by A+ Driving School.
- Contact: 952-681-6111.
Driver's Education: Behind-the-Wheel (no in person registration at this time)
- Cost is $295
- A $35 deposit is paid to Bloomington Community Education to receive your Blue Card. This fee is non-refundable.
- The additional $260 is paid directly to A+ Driving School. Contact A+ Driving School to discuss payment options.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-469-4656
- After completion of the high school classroom instruction classes (taught at Jefferson and Kennedy high schools), the student will receive a letter of completion and information about registering for the six hours of behind-the-wheel training with A+ Driving School.
- Students will need to mail their letter of completion and completed registration form to the Community Education office, 2575 W. 88th Street, Suite 200, Bloomington, Attn. Driver's Ed. A parent's signature and payment information must be on the registration form.
- Students can also email their letter of completion and completed registration form to email@example.com. A parent's signature and payment information must be on the registration form.
- To receive a registration form, contact: 952-681-6111.
- Blue Cards will then be mailed to the student by A+ Driving School.
Registration for SLAM 2020 Camps is now open!
Summer of Laughs, Adventures, and More (SLAM) programs bring together a diverse list of enrichment opportunities over the summer for students entering grades K-8. The program is fee-based with a catalog that is sent home each spring. More than 100 camps are offered every summer.
SLAM camps are scheduled as five-day camps and are offered as a morning or afternoon option or a full-day option with a supervised lunch.
2020 Camps will once again be held at Olson Middle School.
New in 2020! SLAM Camps will be part of the Summer Enrichment catalog delivered to all Bloomington residents.
Youth Enrichment Coordinator
Youth Class Registration Secretary
The 2020 Summer Junior Musical: The Adventures of Dr. Dolittle is cancelled
We apologize for cancelling this year's musical. Look for the return of The Adventures of Dr. Dolittle next year!
GRASP registration has now closed
GRASP is a nine week correspondence program for grades 4 - 8 that helps students maintain reading and math skills while they are on summer vacation.